Do you like to try new eggplant recipes? Eggplant nutrition is good for us women; here are some reasons why:
* The purple peel of eggplant contains proanthocyanidins and anthocyanins (like in elderberry, persimmon, tart red cherries and purple grapes, beets, and purple cabbage), which are compounds that can help protect against brain aging, heart disease and various women’s cancers.
* Eggplant is an excellent source of fiber, a mild laxative and diuretic, which can help you with weight loss, keeping blood pressure under control, diabetes, and cholesterol reduction and arteriosclerosis.
*Eggplant is one of the alkaline-forming vegetables, which can be used to strengthen the immune system to keep you healthy and in balance (acidity creates inflammation, puffiness, weaken our immune system which can lead to heart disease, etc.)
P.S. If you suffer from arthritis, foods in the nightshade family, such as tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, and some citrus should be avoided.
P.P.S. Eggplant should be eaten in moderation by pregnant women.
Healthy Ratatouille Recipe with Eggplant and Zucchinni
Eggplant is considered to be one of the most energizing and soothing. foods for women, and zucchini is helps with elimination and to keep your skin healthy and glowing.
- 3 medium zucchini, chopped
- 1 medium eggplant, chopped
- 2 onions chopped
- 2 tbsp extra virgin oil
- 1 tbsp garlic
- ½ tbsp basil
- 1 tbsp dill and parsley
- 1 cup diced tomatoes (fresh or canned)
- sea salt and black pepper to taste
Sautee onions in olive oil for 3 minutes, add garlic and spices, cook for a few minutes more. Add tomatoes, eggplant and zucchini. Cook until vegetables are soft. Serve with couscous, or basmati rice.
Breathe, smile and be happy.
©Irina Wardas, HHC
Women’s Holistic Health and Nutrition Coach and Counselor