Did you know that millet is one of the alkaline grains? Alkaline foods can help you with your weight loss detox program or to stay healthy in general.
Millet, as any grain, is rich in fiber (necessary for getting rid of constipation, lowering high blood pressure and reducing headaches) as well as in Magnesium that can help prevent heart attacks.
I would like to share with you this healthy recipe by Leslie Cerier from her book Gluten-Free Recipes for the Conscious Cook;
Alkaline Millet Apple Raisin Cake Recipe for Weight Loss, Detox
- 1 cup millet, rinsed
- 3 cups apple juice
- 1 cup raisins
- Pinch of sea salt
Combine the millet, juice, raisins, and salt in a medium-size saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, then lower heat, cover, and simmer for about 20 minutes, until all of the juice is absorbed and the millet is tender. Give it a stir, and then taste it; if the millet is still crunchy, add more juice, cover, and simmer for about 3 minutes, then check the tenderness again.
Pour the mixture into a standard loaf pan and let it cool for about 1 hour, until set. Slice and serve. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator.
- Use a combination of other fresh or dried fruits, such as pears, apples, or apricots. Small fruits are fine as is, but you may want to chop fruits that come in larger pieces.
- Try different fruit juices.
- Stir in about 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon or vanilla extract before pouring the batter into the loaf pan.
- Use corn grits in place of some or all of the millet.
- To use a pressure cooker, just put all of the ingredients in the pressure cooker and lock the lid. Bring up to pressure over high heat, then adjust the heat to maintain pressure and cook for 15 minutes.
Breathe, smile and be happy.
© Irina Wardas, HHC
Women’s Holistic Health, Nutrition and Relationship Expert